- Sheryl Sandburg joined from Google to teach them how to profit from capture
- Early mistakes - Engagement ring purchase shared will all FB friends
- Like button - Bug that tracks user from FB to the rest of the internet turns out to be a feature
- 61m person study published in Nature in 2010 on how informing if users friends voted lead to 60K (2%) more people voting. FB learning how and when to intervene
- Every user has been experimented on t learn how best to modify their behaviour without their knowledge.
- Facebook can change the tone of the newsfeed for users and this changes the positive or nnegative tone of that users posts.
- GoogleTime of Dot com bubble Google in 2000 had best ethics, were anti ad and focussed on making best search engine for users but this = no money
- Behavioural surplus up in 2003. Acts like a “one way mirror $1m per day
- Who wants to be a millionaire spikes in searches across time zones – power to predict
- Overpaid by £1 billion for You Tube because of the amount of raw material supply Behavioural surplus
Obama presidential campaign teamed up with Google
US Government were keen on new internet privacy laws until 9/11. CIA & Silican Valley go into partnership for Behavioural surplus capture.
App DISCONNECT created by ex Google employees allowing users to sever surplus capture taken off Google Play
Pokemon Go designed by former Maps head John Hanke in a spin off company. Story of persons garden in Broughton having rare Pokemon and besieged and no jurisdiction or anything they could. Merged the digital world with the real. Gamification = exploitation. Sponsored locations using cost/visit eg bars and resteraunts. Had as many users as Twitter. Took everything from your phone.